About this Group
This group is designed to empower the mothers of clients to develop and adapt mental health strategies in order to increase their drive and capabilities to engage in self care. This group will target women with children who are having difficulty with their own emotional and mental wellness. It is anticipated that teaching mothers these skills will strengthen relationships with their children, increase their self-esteem, and help their stress levels.
Self-care for Mothers
Self-care for Mothers
- The Importance of Self Care and Physical Needs
- Individuals with children often put their children first and thus do not make time for themselves.
- Individuals often have difficulty caring for their physical bodies, which causes physical and emotional repercussions.
- The Therapist will address physical needs (eating, drinking, hygiene, sleep, and exercise) and discuss the pros of one taking care of their body, difficulties in taking care of these needs, and strategies that can be employed to make it easier.
- Therapist will talk about the benefits of self-care, and how it can actually help their children and family in the long term
- The difference between self-care and indulgence- how consumerism gets in the way of true self care
- Therapist will define self-care and common myths regarding self-care.
- Therapist will highlight the differences between self-care and indulgence
- Therapist will talk about how commercialism tries to push individuals to spend money in the pursuit of self-care.
- Stress the importance of creative activities as adults and how these activities can also be family activities
- Mothers will discuss hobbies and what hobbies they either do or be interested in trying
- Hobbies lead to important teaching moments with family if both good AND bad at attempting hobbies.
- Mindfulness techniques have proven to make individuals happier.
- Mothers will talk about the differences between having an optimistic outlook vs. a negative outlook. Therapist will talk about toxic positivity
- Therapist will talk about accepting negative emotions in your space and be comfortable
- Recognizing our internal mechanisms and realizing what our emotions feel like in our bodies.
- Meditation and Grounding Techniques
- Recognizing energies that are in your body
- Being Kind to Ourselves
- Loving ourselves
- Why it’s hard to love ourselves
- Why we tend to be so hard on ourselves.
- Caring for our Inner Child
- Using our inner child to create empathy with our own kids.
- How to express our inner child in a healthy way.